Subject: Re: Netboot on an old Indigo - a bit lost
To: Simon van der Linden <ifmy@geekbox.be>
From: Stephen M. Rumble <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/21/2006 12:04:14
Quoting Simon van der Linden <ifmy@geekbox.be>:

> It's really odd. In your example, yadayada should be the filename, isn't
> it? But whatever this name is, my SGI always retrieve netbsd-sgimips
> from my TFTP server. And... then the filename is diplayed on the screen
> (Obtaining /file from server) Finally, the results are the same.

Yes, it's a filename. If your bootp server is specifying the filename
explicitly, perhaps the prom will ignore the user-supplied input. If
you're using dhcpd you can comment out the 'filename' directive and
see what happens.

> console=g
> I don't use a serial console, I have a VGA screen attached directly to
> the station.

Technically that should work. If you're using a VGA monitor you must
have an LG1 framebuffer, which we don't support. However, you should
still see output via the prom routines.

> I just tried with a kernel from this snapshot (ecoff-GENERIC32_IP12). It
> seems broken. This time, my machine isn't down at all, and I have a
> PANIC: Unexpected exception. If it's useful, I can take a picture of my
> screen, or transcript the output, but it will take me some time ;-)

Ick. The output is not of interest to me at this point, unfortunately,
as I haven't any IP12 machines to work with and nowhere to build code.

I would imagine that if you're sufficiently adventurous, you could
check out a cvs snapshot from around when Antti Kantee committed the
(known working) IP12 support around April 2004. Unfortunately, no
kernel configuration was present at that time, so it appears that the
NetBSD-2 releases weren't distributed with any IP12 kernels. Antti's
declaration of IP12 support (in case you want a checkout date):

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2004/04/11/0000.html

It would also be of interest to know if Rui Paulo recently got his
4D/35 running (another, very similar IP12 machine):

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2006/11/07/0000.html

Steve