Subject: Re: installboot on IP2x ?
To: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
From: Stephen M. Rumble <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/16/2006 22:09:32
Quoting George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm still trying to get NetBSD on my Challenge S (see earlier thread on
> SCSI problems)...
>
> Since I can't boot an install kernel, I took the disk out and attached
> it to my O2. I then installed 4.0 beta, plus Ben's test kernel, and put
> it back in the Challenge S. However, it now fails to boot because it has
> an IP3x boot loader from the O2 install. I guess that I need to put
> /usr/mdec/ip2xboot on the boot partition but I don't know how to do it.
> I looked at the 'installboot' man page but sgimips isn't listed as a
> supported machine type. Is the boot partition mountable or is there some
> other way to copy the file across?

You'll need to use the 'sgivol' utility, which I believe lives in
/usr/mdec, but memory may not serve correctly. With it you can do a
bunch of things like list the volume header contents,
read/write/delete files, create a new volume header, etc. It should
give you a bunch of options that are reasonably intuitive, though I
don't believe that a man page exists. Searching through the
port-sgimips archives for it will probably yield some good info if you
experience any trouble.

Good luck,
Steve