Subject: netbsd autoreboot problem on SGI O2
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Padwick <cpadwick@ittvis.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/12/2006 13:15:36

------_=_NextPart_001_01C70697.60CA5CAC

Hi,

I recently installed netbsd 3.0.1 on an SGI O2 R5000.  The install was =
very easy and I was up and running quickly.  But now I am noticing a =
strange problem: the machine reboots itself several times per day.  The =
reboot is bad as the machine doesn't come back up.  What I notice is the =
following:

- I try to ping the machine and can't ping it after it goes down.
- I console into it using the serial console and am in a program called =
"db", not a login prompt.  If I type "continue" then the machine seems =
to resume booting and comes up ok.  Then the cycle repeats itself a few =
hours later.
- I login, su to root, and cd to the / directory and do a "find . -name =
core" but don't find any results

- /var/log/messages contains the following entry:

Nov 10 19:56:01 ryan syslogd: Exiting on signal 15
Nov 10 19:58:08 ryan syslogd: restart

I'm running a pretty vanilla installation (I think).  I'm running sshd, =
apache and samba.  I'm on the verge of reinstalling and seeing if that =
fixes it. =20

I've run out of ideas...any help can would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

------_=_NextPart_001_01C70697.60CA5CAC

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.5.7638.1">
<TITLE>netbsd autoreboot problem on SGI O2</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi,<BR>
<BR>
I recently installed netbsd 3.0.1 on an SGI O2 R5000.&nbsp; The install =
was very easy and I was up and running quickly.&nbsp; But now I am =
noticing a strange problem: the machine reboots itself several times per =
day.&nbsp; The reboot is bad as the machine doesn't come back up.&nbsp; =
What I notice is the following:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
- I try to ping the machine and can't ping it after it goes down.<BR>
- I console into it using the serial console and am in a program called =
&quot;db&quot;, not a login prompt.&nbsp; If I type &quot;continue&quot; =
then the machine seems to resume booting and comes up ok.&nbsp; Then the =
cycle repeats itself a few hours later.<BR>
- I login, su to root, and cd to the / directory and do a &quot;find . =
-name core&quot; but don't find any results<BR>
<BR>
- /var/log/messages contains the following entry:<BR>
<BR>
Nov 10 19:56:01 ryan syslogd: Exiting on signal 15<BR>
Nov 10 19:58:08 ryan syslogd: restart<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
I'm running a pretty vanilla installation (I think).&nbsp; I'm running =
sshd, apache and samba.&nbsp; I'm on the verge of reinstalling and =
seeing if that fixes it.&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
I've run out of ideas...any help can would be greatly appreciated.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Thanks,<BR>
<BR>