Subject: Re: timecounter patch for sgimips
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Stephen M. Rumble <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/19/2006 16:50:51
Quoting Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>:

> Attached find a patch to convert sgimips  to timecounter.  The IP12
> (mips1) does not get an accurate microtime, but it never had one
> before.

Does GENERIC_IP12 compile at all? Won't microtime() be missing from
those kernels since the mips3 clock code is conditional on MIPS3 being
defined? Will they even link anymore? And, what does compiling in
timecounters mean when there is no hardware timecounter support at
all? I'm not familiar with the code, but I'm concerned about things
being broken.

Due to SGI playing games with the memory layout of nearly every new
system, it is highly unlikely, if not impossible, for us to have
kernels with both MIPS1 and MIPS3 defined. If there are any problems
with MIPS1, I think it would be safe, albeit ugly, to conditionalise
timecounters on MIPS3.

The real solution, I imagine, is to port i386's i8254 timecounter
support, as that is what IP12 uses.

Also, I don't see 'clkread' being removed from the platform struct.

Everything else looks okay to me, but I haven't any hardware at hand
to test with. I imagine somebody here would be willing to boot a test
kernel, though, should you make a GENERIC_IP2x available.

Thanks for doing this,
Steve