Subject: Re: Problems booting 2.0.2 ISO on R5000 o2?
To: Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/12/2005 19:19:39
thus Fabian Wenk spake:
> Hello Timo
>
> Timo Schoeler wrote:
>
>> seems like you're switching from one dying platform to the other :D
>

> Sure yes, but the Amigas which are around here would probably still run,
> if I would turn them on.

for sure. my 1200 runs NetBSD happily ;)

> So the H/W doesn't die just because the company
> which manufactured them went bankrupty. ;)

that's true. but IMHO it's very sad watching one company after the other
(Commodore, sgi, Sun won't take long either) or technoligies (MIPS,
PA-RISC, Alpha) dying -- what survives is el-cheapo x86 crap.

maybe IBM get POWER/PowerPC positioned in a way it lasts as (the better
;) alternative :)

> For important stuff, like my servers, I use FreeBSD since many years.
> But not on DEC or Compaq H/W, where the manufacturer also disappeared. :)
>
> I hope, that there will be an other solution around before Apple
> eventually will die. But Microsoft will keep an eye on that. Because if
> Apple (or MacOS) dies then they will have a problem about monopoly. This
> is the only reason why MS Office is available for MacOS X.

yip, that's the situation they're in for the last decade (at least). on
the other hand, economy ruling government, who cares M$ as monopolist?
nobody. you can buy judges, you can buy the legislative, you can buy
*everything*. and nowadays it's the time they *show* it. but this is
political stuff... ;)

> PS: Please fix your mailclient, that it does wrap the line after around
> 65 - 70 characters, and not put the whole paragraph on one line. Thanks.

hm, your the first complaining about sylpheed (i use it on my NetBSD box
besides pine)... i'll have a look at it, thanks.

timo