Subject: Re: Problems booting 2.0.2 ISO on R5000 o2?
To: <>
From: Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/10/2005 23:23:14
Hello Pete

Pete Wright wrote:

> Honestly, if you are interested in running X on an SGI I would strongly
> suggest using IRIX.  The graphics hardware and IRIX OS are very tightly
> coupled, so I do not think you will find a third party OS (Open or not)
> that will match the performance and reliability of IRIX.  It's also a
> pretty great OS and pkgsrc works great on it as well! :)

I had for 6 1/2 years a SGI O2 R5000 (200MHz, I guess) running as
my deskop workstation at home with IRIX 6.x. Even with 448 MB RAM
it was just slow in the end, especially for webbrowsing. Netscape
4.8 (which is included with IRIX) is not state of the art anymore
and had problems with "modern" websites, and Mozilla from the
Freeware CD just run to slow to be any usefull.

But remember, the Design of the O2 is from the last century, and
the OpenGL Demos are still impressive.

About a year ago I switch my desktop workstation to an other unix
like operating system with nice graphical features. Look at the
headers of this mail if you want to know which OS it runs. ;)

bye
Fabian