Subject: Re: Problems booting 2.0.2 ISO on R5000 o2?
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Rodney Ross <rodross@myrealbox.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/10/2005 16:43:48
Hi, I spoke with a Mr. Marc Dhan and a Ms. Ciya at SGI and the only way to =
get IRIX is to pay for support ( This costs more than most machines are w=
orth including O2 ). I have an Indy R5000 150 sc running on NetBSD 3.99. =
Debian would not boot for me and only the 3.99 NetBSD bootable cd boots f=
or BSD from cds as I understand. Then it is a blind install as the graphi=
cs are clouded with error messages ( must be someway to disable verbose l=
ogging in the console so you don't see this ). Also, only the older style=
 boot option worked for me ( the third one ). When talking about using IR=
IX, I would beware of the legality unless SGI wants to sign an abandonwar=
e petition ( such as http://abandonware.mivox.com/ mivox - abandonware
petition ) . Even buying from third party is not good so said SGI. This is =
a good reason for using "free" and open software such as NetBSD on SGI ha=
rdware. Lastly if you "setenv console d" from "console g" setting, as som=
e of the docs say, realise that you must remove a prom jumper to reset th=
ings to get video back to video out from serial out. Hope this info helps=