Subject: Re: Problems booting 2.0.2 ISO on R5000 o2?
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Hicks <tim.se.hicks@gmail.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/10/2005 23:30:46
I followed your instructions as far as I could, although evidently not
far enough. :)

Is it utterly necessary to do this via a null modem cable/terminal?
I'm not sure I'll be able to get my hands on one. That said:

192.168.0.2 =3D dhcp3 server running on Linux box
192.168.0.3 =3D windows machine running WinAgents TFTPd, with
netbsd-INSTALL32_IP3x in /TFTPRoot/tftpboot
192.168.0.6 =3D the address I want the o2 to use

> setenv SystemPartition bootp():
> boot
Setting $netaddr to 192.168.0.6 (from server 192.168.0.3)
(and then after a few minutes' wait...)
Unable to execute bootp():/boot:  invalid argument
Unable to load bootp():/boot: invalid bootfile bootp():/boot.

...I tried the other way:

>boot -f bootp():/netbsd-INSTALL32_IP3x
Setting $netaddr to 192.168.0.6 (from server 192.168.0.3)
(and another long wait...)
Unable to execute bootp():/netbsd-INSTALL32_IP3x:  invalid argument
Unable to load bootp():/netbsd-INSTALL32_IP3x:
``bootp():/netbsd-INSTALL32_IP3x'' is not a valid file to boot.

I'd guess from the $netaddr line that the DHCP server is doing what it
needs to (which is a relief as I'd never actually configured one
before), although I don't know why it says "from server ...0.3" (dhcp
server being 0.2). I really have little idea what I'm doing though.

Any ideas?

Might it be at all simpler/even feasible to set up an SGI-bootable CD
with nothing but the install kernel, to quickly boot the machine and
then finish with an FTP install?

Tim