Subject: Re: SGI Indy full-screen console mode
To: Malte Dehling <mdehling@math.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
From: Ilpo Ruotsalainen <lonewolf@iki.fi>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/27/2004 21:34:11
On Mon Dec 27 2004 at 17:48:41 +0100, Malte Dehling wrote:
> While testing, I noticed some rather unusual behaviour; this is what I posted
> earlier today:
> # dmesg | grep newport
> newport0 at gio0 slot 2 addr 0x1f000000: SGI NG1 (board revision 2, cmap revision 5, xmap revision 5, vc2 revision 0), depth 8
> wsdisplay0 at newport0 kbdmux 1: console (1280x1024, vt100 emulation)
>
> (It is definitly what I saw!)
>
> but now i get on the same Indy:
> # dmesg | grep newport
> newport0 at gio0 slot 2 addr 0x1f000000: SGI NG1 (board revision 6, cmap revision 5, xmap revision 5, vc2 revision 0), depth 8
> wsdisplay0 at newport0 kbdmux 1: console (1280x1024, vt100 emulation)
>
> Now the board revision is 6 and not 2... Whenever board_rev=6 is detected, my
> cursor is at the correct location (x_offset=29) and also, I get a fully
> functional fullscreen console!
>
> Still, sometimes I get board_rev=2, so I think either my hardware is broken
> or something is wrong in the detection of board_rev.

How random is this (or does it depend on cold/warm boot, power cycling
or somesuch)? And how often do you get those revisions (is one much more
common than the other)? I have a feeling there may be timing problems
lurking in the detection code... I can whip up some test patches but
cannot test them myself as my Indys are not operational at the moment.

--
Ilpo Ruotsalainen - <lonewolf@iki.fi> - http://www.iki.fi/lonewolf/