Subject: Re: current pmap cache problem (Re: Looking for something to do ;))
To: Timo Sch?ler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/29/2004 21:41:29
--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 08:02:31PM +0200, Timo Sch?ler wrote:
> to make it really short:
>=20
> i do have a Power Indigo2 (with MIPS R8000 :) and would *really* like=20
> it to run NetBSD. AFAIK the IP26 (I2/R8k) is not yet supported (maybe=20
> that nobody tried it, tho)...
>=20
> is there anything i could do (try to set it up, making it reachable via=
=20
> serial line)?

I don't believe that it would boot if you tried. Two problems are
apparent to me:
	1. IP26 probably only boots a 64bit kernel like IP28.
	   Chris Sekiya has been working towards getting sgimips
	   running on 64bit-only Octanes.
	2. There's no R8k kernel support, at least as far as I
	   know. Further, I don't know whether there's decent
	   documentation availible on the chip. SGI's ftp site
	   appears to have some, however. (ftp.sgi.com/sgi/doc).

The first is being actively worked towards, and the second may
not be possible, or may require fairly substantial changes. I
recall hearing that the R8k was a hack to tide SGI over until the
R10k was ready, so it may behave quite differently from what we
presently support.

Steve

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd--