Subject: Re: Finally have hardware
To: Mottl, Thomas (SAW Enterprises) <thomas.mottl-eds@eds.com>
From: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/29/2004 11:16:17
--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 09:52:37AM -0400, Mottl, Thomas (SAW Enterprises) wrote:
> I've read through the install notes from the NetBSD site (which are dated 7
> September, 2002) and it says the video / keyboard / mouse are not supported,
> but the sgimips page on the NetBSD site say they are.  Is this just in
> -current, since the directions are for 1.6.2?

No Indigo2 video is supported. The only framebuffer support is
GR2 (on Indigo) and NG1 on Indy. There may exist NG1 and/or GR2
implementations for Indigo2, but I don't believe they'd work out
of the box. You'll have to either use a serial console or deal
with running NetBSD within the ARCs console. The problem with the
latter is that esc, ctrl+c and a few other keys will drop you
back into the ARCs prom.

> If so, how can I get a version of -current onto my drive (which as far as I
> know is blank) without the CD-ROM, should I just follow the FTP directions
> for 1.6.2 and point it somewhere else?

You could install to the disk from another machine, or net boot
an install kernel. Netbooting is rather easy to set up if you
can set up dhcpd on your segment.

This should get you started:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sgimips/faq.html#bootstrapping

> I'm completely new to sgi/mips hardware, but I've used NetBSD/i386 and
> NetBSD/PPC before (in both cases installing from CD though).

Once you get an install kernel booted it should be very familiar
territory.

Good luck,
Steve

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v