Subject: Re: New 2.0 snapshot available
To: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
From: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/02/2004 23:22:27
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Antti Kantee wrote:

>On Tue Aug 10 2004 at 17:51:16 +0100, Christian Smith wrote:
>> Installation notes has IP12 as a supported architecture, but I notice no
>> IP12 kernels in the snapshot. Do you have an working IP12 kernel that can
>> be used with this snapshot?
>>
>> Just thought I'd ask before diving in and trying to compiling one.
>
>Well, um, the IP12 kernel config file is kinda missing, because we
>haven't yet decided what to do with it (there are annoying problems in
>how to divide the sgimips config files).  So for now it's a "roll your
>own from GENERIC32_IP2x".  And because there's no config file, it's not
>a surprise that the kernel doesn't get built as part of the release.
>
>Creating a IP12 config file takes 4 easy steps starting from
>GENERIC32_IP2x:
>
>Then just compile & fly away.  If you have any problems, don't hesitate
>to ask.

OK, I've finally got round to [trying to] compile a kernel for IP12, using
a GENERIC32_IP12 config based on the mods suggested.

Problem is, I'm trying to cross compile from a Debian Linux machine, but
fail when building the tools. I'm using (source in /scratch/tmp/src):
$ ./build.sh -T /scratch/tmp/src/cross -U -m sgimips tools

But fail when building sgivol:

/scratch/tmp/src/cross/bin/nbhost-mkdep -d -f .depend -s .lo\ .ln sgivol.d
#   compile  sgivol/sgivol.lo
cc -O -I/scratch/tmp/src/tools/compat/obj -I/scratch/tmp/src/tools/compat/obj/include  -I/scratch/tmp/src/tools/sgivol/../compat -DHAVE_NBTOOL_CONFIG_H=1  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -c -o sgivol.lo.o    /scratch/tmp/src/sys/arch/sgimips/stand/sgivol/sgivol.c
/scratch/tmp/src/sys/arch/sgimips/stand/sgivol/sgivol.c:42:27: sys/disklabel.h: No such file or directory

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? src/tools/compat/README
indicates cross builds are fine on RH, so I wouldn't expect Debian to be
much different.

I've just started a build on the only available NetBSD box I have, but
that is a 2xSPARC as opposed to a 2xAthlon:( Hopefully, I'll have better
luck with that, but it'll take a while.

>  - antti

Christian

--