Subject: Re: O2 boot problems
To: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/05/2004 15:57:54
On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:17:17PM +0900, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
|On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 02:54:17AM -0000, Joseph Key wrote:
|> At this point I get the cd0(ahc0:0:4:0): adapter resource shortage
|> error and that is a far as it can go.
|
|This is a known problem (the sgimips bus_dmamap code does not interact
|well with the ahc driver); I've not had a chance to track it down.
|
|Booting from CD works. Installing sets from CD does not.

more on this - I was able to put a PC PCI NIC into my O2 and was able
to have the kernel recognise it and use it happily.

I was then able to copy the raw CD image you posted previously over the
network to the local disk without the problems listed above, although I
didn't have md4 or sha1 to check whether it made it without error ...

I don't know where I can get the install sets, since I can't read the
filesystem on the CD to extract them from ... unless someone can give me
hints on how big the SGI-specific stuff is at the head of the image so
that I can strip it off to reveal the ffs filesystem underneath, then I
could mount that and work from there ... thanks

|> Next I tried booting the netbsd-GENERIC32-ip3x.gz through tftp. I got
|> the kernel to boot but the ethernet port isn't detected so I can't
|> mount the nfs root file system.
|
|Tsutsui-san committed the O2 ethernet driver after I made that snapshot
|available.

ah ... oh well, I was wanting more than one NIC on this machine anyway,
so I'm still ahead ... :)

--
Malcolm Herbert                                    System Administrator
ph [990] 54881 rm 28-241                          School of GeoSciences