Subject: Re: Hard drive problems - possibly tied to presence of PCI NIC?
To: None <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/26/2004 13:36:00
On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:46:51AM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:

[Replying to my own post - new data!]

> * The hard drive drive gives errors constantly. My dmesg contains a lot
>   of lines like this:
>
>   sd0(ahc0:0:1:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x28 00 00 61 1a 50 00 00 02 00
>       SENSE KEY:  Media Error
>      INFO FIELD:  6363728
>        ASC/ASCQ:  Uncorrected Read Error - Recommend Reassignment
>            SKSV:  Actual Retry Count: 47
>
>   Naturally, this leads to fsck problems. fsck can't fix them -- even
>   when I get a clean filesystem, if I re-run fsck it'll instantly have
>   a bunch of new problems.

I went back and revisited this. Upon more careful inspection, I noticed
that it was a very small number of sections listed in the "INFO FIELD".
I went single-user, ran some 'scsictl /dev/sd0 reassign nnnnnnn'
commands, ran fsck and cleaned up the mess, ran fsck again ... and it
stayed clean. Yay :-)

So my hard drive problems _appear_ to be fixed (knock on wood). The
NiC/HD problem that Brad is experiencing is still unknown, though we're
planning to dig into it more tonight.

-T

--
When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.
	- Ancient Fremen Wisdom