Subject: Newer kernels not booting all the way & maximum RAM problems
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/23/2004 23:12:26
Howdy folks,

I've run into two problems while enjoying the sgimips goodness:

1. I'm unable to boot any kernel from releng.netbsd.org newer than the
20040103 build. They all boot, to an extent, but freeze at this point:

(snip)
root file system type: ffs
Tue Mar 23 22:59

Interestingly, the kernel that /does/ boot (from 0103) has the time zone
listed on that line:

(snip)
root file system type: ffs
Tue Mar 23 23:04:08 CST 2004
swapctl: adding /dev/sd0b as swap device at priority 0
Starting file system checks:
(etc)

This isn't causing any direct problems since I can use the 0103 kernel
but doesn't bode well for the future if I want to follow -current. Is
anyone else able to boot newer kernels on an R5000 O2 (IP32)?

2. While 'hinv' shows more than 256MiB of RAM, the NetBSD kernel doesn't
appear to recognize it. I've tried more recent kernels from
releng.netbsd.org (since the memory count is displayed before they
freeze, which is handy) and the situation remains right up to the newest
kernels I can try.

I've tried with 320MiB of RAM (2x128, 2x32) and 512 (4X128). In all
cases I get something like this (using the 0213 kernel as an example):

NetBSD 1.6ZJ (GENERIC32_IP3x) #0: Fri Feb 13 23:53:00 UTC 2004
        autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org:/autobuild/HEAD/sgimips/OBJ/autobuild/HEAD/src/sys/arch/sgimips/compile/GENERIC32_IP3x
256 MB memory, 238 MB free, 6848 KB for ARCS

Naturally, top and 'systat vmstat' show that I have 256MiB of real
memory as well.

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround for it?

Thanks muchly!

-T

--
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.