Subject: Re: Any alternatives to fx(1) for creating a boot able hard drive on an O2?
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/18/2004 07:56:50
--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 08:32:23AM +0100, Richard Braun wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:41:03PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > Howdy folks,
> >=20
> > I'm attempting to install the sgimips port for the first time on an O2
> > (R5000). I've been using the pmax port on a DECStation 5000/25 for about
> > a year, but I'd like try a little more modern MIPS architecture.
> >=20
> > Is there any way around the need for IRIX fx(1) to create a bootable
> > hard drive for use with NetBSD? I don't have access to IRIX and I bought
> > my O2 without a harddrive so the IBM 4.51GB SCA SCSI disk (PN 76H5817)
> > that I installed instead doesn't have the SGI volume header partition.
>=20
> Read the NetBSD/sgimips FAQ. You have to netboot NetBSD so that you can
> install it ;-).

I would guess that you're referring to the section "How to bootstrap
NetBSD/sgimips"? If so, I don't believe that's the problem I'm having
(though I could certainly be mistaken).

I installed from sgimips-20030904-bootable.cdimage which I obtained from
ftp://ftp.mrynet.com/pub/os/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/RECENT ... there's also
a companion .instructions file which I followed. Using that CD I was
able to boot off the local CD drive (it was SCSI ID 4 for me rather than
ID 6) and proceed through a basically normal full install via the serial
console.

Upon reboot it gave the following errors:

                           Starting up the system...
SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
SCSI Hard Error on (0,1) unexpected bus free (hastat 0x13) -- check cabling
cdb: 12 0 0 0 1 0
Unable to execute scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/boot:  IO error
Boot device not responding: scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/boot.
Autoboot failed
Unable to continue; press <enter> to return to the menu:

and my printenv has this:

AutoLoad=3DYes
diskless=3D0
dbaud=3D9600
volume=3D80
sgilogo=3Dy
monitor=3Dh
OSLoadPartition=3Dscsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
console=3Dd
netaddr=3D192.168.23.32
TimeZone=3DCST6CST
OSLoader=3Dboot
OSLoadOptions=3Dauto
OSLoadFilename=3Dnetbsd
SystemPartition=3Dscsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
ConsoleOut=3Dserial(0)
ConsoleIn=3Dserial(0)
cpufreq=3D200
eaddr=3D08:00:69:02:e3:cb
videostatus=3Dillegal_env_var

and my hinv has this:

                   System: IP32
                Processor: 200 Mhz R5000, with FPU
     Primary I-cache size: 32 Kbytes
     Primary D-cache size: 32 Kbytes
     Secondary cache size: 1024 Kbytes
              Memory size: 64 Mbytes
                 Graphics: CRM, Rev C
                    Audio: A3 version 1
                SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(1)
               SCSI CDROM: scsi(0)cdrom(4)

I've done some more research into creating bootable harddrives, and I
found a few things. The INSTALL.txt file for sgimips mentions this:

"It is important to note the disk on which NetBSD is being installed on
must already have an SGI volume header.  Disks not already formatted for
IRIX can be prepared with the IRIX fx(1) disk formatting tool."

And the FAQ confirms:

"The firmware can't currently boot the kernel from a FFS filesystem,
though, and you'll need to boot via the net for now."

I /think/ that this refers to the 'fx' disk utility, though I'm not
familiar enough with IRIX to know for sure. I'd like to be able be boot
purely from local disk if possible, and thus my original message to this
list :-)

If I /do/ need to netboot, my reading of the bootstrapping entry in the
FAQ is that I'll end up only needing to remotely boot the kernel, not
the complete root filesystem ... does that sound right?

Oh, and point #7 of the bootstrapping entry in the FAQ implies that the
onboard ethernet on the O2 is now supported ... is that really the case?
It'd be great if it was. My impression from reading the last archives
over the past several days was that a PCI NIC was necessary as the
onboard NIC wasn't supported.

Thanks for your help!

-T

--=20
Page 2: Unix today is nothing less than a worldwide culture, comprising
many tools, ideas and customs.
	- Harley Hahn, _The Unix Companion_

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu--