Subject: Re: booting indigo and serial con question
To: None <coz@badblock.com, port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: systems engineer <ozone@rs.cname.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/08/2004 21:20:08
> I ran fx on my second drive, what options should I select?  I tried
> repartitioning as a root drive.  Was there something else?

it doesn't really matter what partition table you give it, only that
you let fx write a volume label. for a virgin disk, you should get
2-3 lines of "creating default $thing..." (i think they're sgilabel,
volhdr, and partition table). at this point, enter the command

label/sync

and fx will write a disklabel. alternately, quit fx (exit) and answer
y to the "blah blah, write changes?" prompt.

important note: unless you invoke fx with the -x ("expert" aka "enable
destructive mode") option, you can't do any of this.

you can also clone your existing irix disk (probably not a bad idea).
partition with fx, use dvhtool to copy at least sash into the new disk's
volume header with

foreach i (symmon ide sash)
	dvhtool -v get $i /tmp/$i
	dvhtool -v create /tmp/$i $i /dev/rdsk/dks0dXvol
end

(you might have to do this for netbsd anyway.) mount it somewhere
convenient, and do something like

xfsdump -l 0 - / | xfsrestore - /newdisk

at which point you could install the new disk and pickle the old one.