Subject: Re: SGI cdrom images
To: port-sgimips <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/24/2003 20:21:45
On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 07:12:06PM -0500, phufnagel wrote:
> Might be able to get some clues with a logic analyzer, which
> I happen to have.  Not sure how easy that would be.  I thought
> the Crimson was VME?  VME bus is pretty well documented, so it
> might be worth a shot to capture something...  It came without
> a hard drive, I have Irix 5.3...  I presume it might be supported.

Yeah, it appears to be a monsterous VME cage with a few full
5.25 vertical drive slots. Although, I've never seen one in
person. Frankly, its proportions scare me, especially for a
uniprocessor machine. As for supporting VME, I have no idea what
it requires of the kernel and if the irix headers contain
sufficient hints to get it going.

As far as reverse engineering goes, that'd be really cool, but I
don't think anybody would have the time and expertise for such a
rare machine.

> Of course, that all presumes I can make room for it in the basement
> and unplug the damn washing machine (the only 20A outlet I have down
> there).  Not on the top of the list right now.  I have to get rid of
> stuff, like a pile of DecStations and some old Sparc1's & 2's, etc.
> Probably soon to be posting some messages on the other boards to see
> who wants to help me clean house ;-)

Yikes. That beastie must use a fair amount of juice. I noticed
the snet address; if you're in CT I'll help you make room ;)

Steve