Subject: Re: SGI cdrom images
To: port-sgimips <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: phufnagel <phufnagel@snet.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/24/2003 19:12:06
>I took a look at Crimson includes in irix, and it appears to
>utilize lance ethernet and the same good ole wd33c93 scsi
>controller. A fair bit of the hardware support is in tree, but I
>haven't a clue how DMA is done with the IO{2,3}. Maybe it wouldn't
>be terribly difficult to get it booting and do PIO.

Might be able to get some clues with a logic analyzer, which
I happen to have.  Not sure how easy that would be.  I thought
the Crimson was VME?  VME bus is pretty well documented, so it
might be worth a shot to capture something...  It came without
a hard drive, I have Irix 5.3...  I presume it might be supported.

Of course, that all presumes I can make room for it in the basement
and unplug the damn washing machine (the only 20A outlet I have down
there).  Not on the top of the list right now.  I have to get rid of
stuff, like a pile of DecStations and some old Sparc1's & 2's, etc.
Probably soon to be posting some messages on the other boards to see
who wants to help me clean house ;-)

But, I *will* pull out the voltmeter soon and try and get those
voltages for Chris.  I would guess you could wire something else up,
like an old PC powersupply.  It was overkill in terms of wattage, but
I grafted one into my old TRS-80 model-I MDX2 expansion interface to
run it (rather than a transformer and some good old heat-dissapating
T0-3 voltage regulators).

Pete