Subject: Installing Netbsd O2 IP32
To: None <port-sgimips@NetBSD.org>
From: Izak Burger <iburger@cs.sun.ac.za>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/19/2003 17:29:02
Hello,

Maybe I chose a rather difficult place for venturing into the NetBSD
world, but it appears to be the only free OS that runs on an O2.  I have
plenty of experience with Linux and a little bit with FreeBSD (which I
think is brilliant).  But in any case, here is some details as shown by
the hinv command:

               System: IP32
            Processor: 150 Mhz R10000, with FPU
Primary I-cache size: 32 Kbytes
Primary D-cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary cache size: 1024 bytes
          Memory size: 128 Mbytes
             Graphics: CRM, Rev C
                Audio: A3 version 1
            SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(2)
           SCSI CDROM: scsi(0)cdrom(4)

As far as I could determine the latest version (1.6.1?) runs on this
machine.  The information on the website is somewhat conflicting, as
some say the machine is supported and others say it is not.  I guess it
wasn't supported until recently and some of the documents have not been
updated yet.

Now here is my real problem.  First, the documentation states that the
bootable cd is not iso9660 formatted, but instead has the sgi header and
things I don't quite understand yet so that it can be booted even if the
prom does not understand iso9660.  This appears not to be the case, as
the CD appears to be nothing more than a iso9660 created with mkisofs.
So if I cannot boot it from cd, then I must boot it from the network,
right?  I look in sgimips/binary/kernel and try the different kernels (I
assume I should use netbsd-INSTALL.gz, unzipped of couse), but none of
them boots on the O2.  It looks like it panics early on in the booting
process, but the O2 reboots immediately (blanking the screen in the
process) so I do not have time to read the error message.

I would appreciate any advice or help on this.  Alternatively, I could
probably install netbsd on an i386 somewhere and try cross-compiling.  I
had no luck cross-compiling linux 2.6.0-test9, even though it supposedly
supports the IP32 now.

regards,
Izak
--
Man who speeds in town reaches red traffic light first.

Izak Burger                                  Email: iburger@cs.sun.ac.za
Homepage: http://www.cs.sun.ac.za/~iburger/  Tel: +27 21 808 4863

Please avoid sending me Word attachments.
See http://www.cs.sun.ac.za/~iburger/noword.html