Subject: boot device:
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@ack.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/18/2003 08:24:37
I recently was able to aquire an SGI Indy (price was right, $10).

It came fully functional, including dust :-)

Installed NetBSD-sgimips v1.6.1 on the original HD.  Works fine.

Wanted more space and replaced the disk with a 4GB disk.  Installed
NetBSD again.

Now the system boots fine but always stops and announces:

boot device: <unknown>

and prompts for a root device.  The first install didn't do that.

Also noticed this install the boot blocks always prints out what the
argv to the kernel is, the first install didn't do that either.

Looking at the mailing list archives, I really don't see anything
that matches this behavior.

Sure I could compile a boot block with the root device nailed down,
but I shouldn't have to.

Hints?  Ideas?