Subject: Re: looking for second hand SGI hardware advices
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 10/12/2003 12:56:52
On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 10:36:26PM -0400, Steve Rumble wrote:

> There is Indigo support perpetually in the works, but it's not in-tree.

It will be, soon-ish.

> At the moment all mips ports are 32 bit.

... and likely to remain so.  I've looked a bit at the feasibility of compiling
things as ELF64, and concluded that it just wasn't worth it.

The right thing to do is to compile the bootloader as ELF64 (objcopy won't
work, unfortunately, due to SGI's nasty habit of changing load addresses for
every single platform).  There are still a few barriers to this, but I'm
sorting them out.

> The Octane is unsupported, although with r10k support in
> -current, it may now be feasible to do a port.

The Octane seems to have been a one-off from a design standpoint -- it has
almost zero in common with any other SGI platform (i.e., the heart/xbow
architecture).  I have one and will someday do the port ...

-- Chris
	GPG key FEB9DE7F (91AF 4534 4529 4BCC 31A5  938E 023E EEFB FEB9 DE7F)