Subject: Re: looking for second hand SGI hardware advices
To: Pierre-Philipp Braun <ppwb@club-internet.fr>
From: Ian Cooper <ian@coogr.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 10/11/2003 23:24:02
> ==> What item in there could be relevant for me? I want to buy one sgi
> box just for FUN use with NetBSD and eventually discover OpenGL real
> capabilities, on the other side. A good old and cheap workstation could
> be ok, if it works, but i'm really wondering if that SGI Otane 64bits
> 300Mhz (the last line) would be a good buy, at 900 EUR with the 20 (he's
> talking about inches hm?) screen.

I would recommend that you look for an O2 with a complete IRIX set.  While
NetBSD is great and all, if you want to play around with OpenGL stuff on
SGI hardware, IRIX is really your best (if not only) choice.  Make sure
that you get the Development Foundation and Development Libraries CDs with
the machine, otherwise you have to use GCC and your software development
capabilities are severely reduced.

If you just want a machine to play around with NetBSD on, get an Indy, as
there seems to be the best support for that in the free OSes (Linux &
NetBSD) for SGI hardware.

My $0.02.

Ian