Subject: Re: Snapshot 20030927 available
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/29/2003 10:40:21
On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 05:24:10PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> This is not an acceptable solution, either.  What about add-in ahc
> cards that might be plopped into a PCI slot that have totally valid
> EEPROM info?

Could happen -- in which case the SEEPROM would be ignored and the card would
be set up to use whatever the driver decides that it's capable of, I think.

Specific to the sgimips port, the odds of someone dropping another ahc into
the sole PCI slot are IMHO pretty low.

That having been said, how about doing something like this in the config:

ahc0            at pci0 dev 1 function ? driveropts 0x80000004

... which would entail changes to the MI pci autoconfig code, but would
permit hardwiring specific controllers without affecting usual cases.

Would that be acceptable?

-- Chris
	GPG key FEB9DE7F (91AF 4534 4529 4BCC 31A5  938E 023E EEFB FEB9 DE7F)