Subject: Re: Can't disklabel (was Re: New-and-improved snapshot available)
To: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
From: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/08/2003 02:57:40
On Sun, Sep 7, 2003 at  9:46pm, Christopher SEKIYA wrote:
> Subject: Re: Can't disklabel (was Re: New-and-improved snapshot available)

> On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 07:48:01PM -0500, sgimips NetBSD list wrote:
>
> > Apparently NetBSD's sysinst program will not deal with a drive other
> > than sd0 (I was attempting an install on sd1).
>
> Interesting.  That bloody "out of space" error must actually mean "something
> happened that doesn't happen on i386, so I'm giving up".  This means that
> I was looking in the wrong direction with the final, end-of-install error.
>
> BTW, I'd like to see your bootloader enhancements.  I've decided against
> making IP28/IP30 kernels 64-bit, opting instead to use a 64-bit bootloader
> that loads 32-bit kernels (and thus faking out the PROM).  This means that
> the new bootloader would need to grok bootp() and suchlike, and I don't
> want to reinvent the wheel.
>
> (the reasons I don't want 64-bit kernels are: the 64-bit ABI pretty much
> requires gcc-3.3.1 {unless one wants to use a separate toolchain target}, and
> the mips MI code won't deal with mips64 without significant changes)
>
> -- Chris

Yo, Chris,

The last (I think) incarnation of boot2 is at
	ftp.mrynet.com/pub/os/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/mrynet/boot2.tar.gz

note that this code depends on a function that I had in my local source
about a year ago.   It can just be inline'd:

int
getkeystatus()
{
	return (*ARCBIOS->GetReadStatus)(0);
}

Somewhere in the mail archives is a writeup on how the boot loader works,
the idea coming from the i386 bootloader.

I haven't tried this bootloader in many months.   I guess I'll be trying
it again this week :)

Cheers,
-scott