Subject: Re: Kernel trouble on (purple) Indigo2 R4400/250
To: Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 06/24/2003 09:33:30
--==_Exmh_-474211826P

In message <20030624104804.C0D5135E@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>, you write:

-> Hi, I am new to this list.
-> I am trying to netboot netbsd on my Indigo2.
->
-> I have various machines netbooting from a central server, so I know
-> netbooting works OK (though the other machines boot OpenBSD).
->
-> NetBSD/sgimips starts loading the kernel, I can see a number of devices
-> being detected scroll by, but then it "hangs":
->
-> First the bottom third of the screen is filled with a black rectangle
-> (from the left corner of the screen to about the right corner of SGI's
-> console window), then a little later the second third goes black this
-> way, and after a while the machine reboots.

My guess is that somehow the code that sets up the GIO bus is not right
for Impact machines.  It would be interesting to see what the last out-
put of the machine before it enters this state is.

I'm pretty sure a few other NetBSD developers have Impact-class machines
and run NetBSD/sgimips on them, but I would hazard a guess that they all
use serial consoles rather than the ARCS pseudo-console (there isn't any
code to drive any of the graphics adapters natively, so a real console on
the video adapter is not possible).  Personally, I was always too cheap
to pick up the purple boxes and the only non-teal I2 I have is the R8k
Power Indigo, which will be supported about the same time archeologists
dig up R8k documentation :-)

So my suggestion is, unplug the KB, plug in a serial cable and do things
that way.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C

--==_Exmh_-474211826P

--==_Exmh_-474211826P--