Subject: Re: ESC key kills NetBSD?!
To: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 04/24/2003 13:55:44
--==_Exmh_-1167868376P

In message <200304232049.h3NKnjIS009423@mrynet.com>, you write:

-> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at  1:22pm, Doug McLean wrote:
-> > Subject: ESC key kills NetBSD?!
->
-> This sounds suspiciously like you're installing and/or
-> running from a graphics console.
->
-> If this is the case, then don't :)
-> The NetBSD/sgimips port is not yet ported to boot from
-> a graphics console.  The serial console must be used.

What Scott said.  ^C and ^D also have the same problem,
as do probably one or two other keys.  It really sucks
for usability :-<

-> The problem is that the ARCS PROM still has control of
-> the keyboard, and is interpreting ESC, ^C and some
-> other keys.  ESC and ^C will throw you back into the
-> PROM with no possibility of returning back to NetBSD.

Someone had at some point pointed me at some hints as to
how IRIX deals with it, but none of my SGI machines have
monitors or keyboards attached to them, so I've not tried
to make it work very hard (mmmm, serial console all tied
in to a term server 8-).

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C

--==_Exmh_-1167868376P

--==_Exmh_-1167868376P--