Subject: Re: installation help: boot partition too full?
To: Doug McLean <douginhanoi@yahoo.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 04/19/2003 19:13:39
In message <20030419202130.86483.qmail@web40401.mail.yahoo.com>, you write:

-> Hello all,
->
-> First I wanted to say that I really appreciate all
-> your guys's work.  I have an Indy R4600 that I
-> obtained from a University surplus.  It has a 1GB
-> drive, and all the usual pieces in place.

Excellent, good to hear!

-> However, the problem is that when I have selected my
-> partiitions, regardless of the setup, I get an error
-> when NetBSD attempts to setup these partitions.  The
-> error happens when sgivol tries to write something to
-> the boot partition of the hard disk.  It says
-> something about sgivol being x number of bytes (around
-> 50000), and then it says "No space left".
->
-> Any clues as to what is wrong?  I read something about
-> maybe needed Irix's fx tool, but I think the disk
-> already has an Irix volume label.  Does that volume
-> label need to be cleared out or something?

Odds are you've answered the question yourself correctly 8-)

The default size of the volume header generated by IRIX versions
I have experience with is ~ 2MB, and depending on what you put
in there, it can get pretty full... To check out the theory, you
can boot from the install kernel again, get to a shell prompt and
run the `sgivol' command -- should be in /usr/mdec -- to check out
the contents of the volhdr.  `sgivol -d' will then let you delete
any files currently there...

If it turns out that clearing out the volhdr helps, please file
a PR using send-pr once you get the machine installed about the
failure along with any error messages you can capture...  If it
does not, please send more detailed errors, as well as a listing
of what is in the volume header (ie, output of of "sgivol sdN")
here.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill