Subject: Optimal handling of HPC 1.5 [wrapped]
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Rumble <steve@paintballresource.org>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/14/2002 04:57:39
Sorry for the duplication; the original wasn't wrapped..

I've taken the code modifications originally begun by Gerald Heinig (and
continued by Erik Reid) and have been poking at it in order to bring
Indigo R4k support in line with the IP22/24. It is essentially there,
supporting SCSI, ethernet and the dp clock. Currently it's a mess of
ifdef's which, for the most part, alter HPC3 register offsets as well as
the DMA descriptor layout. My aim is to work the code into such a shape
where a kernel can be built for any of the HPC platforms (at least
IP20-24).

I've discussed this a little bit already with Rafal and would appreciate
some brain storming from other developers as to the best way of
achieving this. I think that a separate HPC driver and dma functions
will need to be written for the 1.5. If that were to happen, would the
standard naming scheme follow say, the sun cg6 graphics adapter:
hpcone*, hpcthree*, etc?

There may be far better solutions I cannot conceive of. Any input is
appreciated.

Recent code tracking -current, in a workable, but very hacked up state,
can be found at www.cataclysmic.org/sgimips/

-Steve