Subject: Re: installing NetBSD 1.6 on an Indigo2
To: Bernhard Erdmann <be@berdmann.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 10/01/2002 08:30:28
In message <3D9706BA.6070209@berdmann.de>, you write:

-> Hi,
->
-> I tried to install NetBSD 1.6 on an Indigo2 (IP 22, 200 MHz) using a
-> local CD-ROM drive without success.
->
-> The CD-ROM drive is on the external connector (controller 1) having ID 2
-> on the bus. Is is possible to install IRIX from this CD-ROM drive.
->
-> cdrecord was used to burn sgimipscd.iso.

It's possible the CD isn't entirely correct, as IIRC SGI cd's need to have
a special SGI-specific format to be bootable; unfortunately, my Indigo2 is
still packed away and last I tried couldn't boot of either the internal CD
or an external CD on controller 1 (the internal one has a dodgy sled and
either doesn't get power correctly or doesn't make the SCSI connection
right; the external one seems to have died a spontaneous death and won't
even talk to my PC anymore 8-/).

I'll see if I can scrounge up a SCSI CD-ROM to try this out, but I wouldn't
count on that being real soon... For the time being I suggest you boot off
the 'net if possible.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill