Subject: Indy Questions...
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Dumitriu <alex@bitblot.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/24/2002 15:31:15
Hello all,

I recently finished bootstrapping and installing NetBSD 1.6 on an R4600
Indy. All in all a pretty painless procedure (at least for someone with
plenty of SGI PROM and NetBSD/i386 experience).

I then built cvs and checked out -current. However, I can't build a kernel
(or anything else for that matter). When the GENRIC_INDY Kernel config
blew up, I tried updating config, but the make fails with a bunch of:

Unknown machine - please send details to abs@netbsd.org
  hw.model        : 'SGI-IP22'
  hw.machine      : 'sgimips'
  hw.machine_arch : 'mipseb'
  cpu details     :
cpu0 at mainbus0: QED R4600 Orion CPU (0x2020) Rev. 2.0 with built-in FPU
Rev. 2.0
cpu0: 16KB/32B 2-way set-associative L1 Instruction cache, 48 TLB entries
cpu0: 16KB/32B 2-way set-associative write-back L1 Data cache
cpu0: disabling IP22 SysAD L2 cache

messages, culminating in:

Bad system call (core dumped)

I get the same unknown machine messages when building from pkgsrc. I also
tried running a "/usr/src/build.sh -T /usr/tools -O /usr/obj obj" under
the theory that I needed the build tools for the config update to work,
but that build fails with more of the same unknown machine messages.

To top it all off, I must have broken something else in the process, since
now many apps (like cvs, more, vi, and several daemons at startup) die
right away with: Bad system call (core dumped).

Any idea waht's going on here? It seems like it's a case of mistaken
self-identity. Is there something simple I'm missing?

On another note, anybody ever play around with SGI's 100BT GIO Ethernet
board and get it working at all? I'm guessing no, since it doesn't show up
as an sq* and there don't seem to be any other ethernet drivers. I'm a
babe in the woods when it comes to kernel programming, but if someone
wants to outline what needs to be done to get something like this working
and gives me a push in the right direction, I'll make a ham-fisted attempt
at it....

thanks!
-alex dumitriu