Subject: Summary: Indy installation issues
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Markus_B=F6ing?= <markus@boeing-online.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/13/2002 11:45:02
Ladies and Gents,

since I raised some of my issues with installing NetBSD an an Indy on the
list I think I should provide the answers as well.

It is all in the FAQs. :)

1) I could not bring a headless Indy into PROM mode by pressing ESC on the
serial console. => Swapping the console cable fixed the problem (I'm using:
  <Mac modem cable>-<null modem>-<Cisco console cable>; Cisco console cable
:= DB25-to-RJ45 "Terminal" plug + RJ45 rollover cable).

2) Using PROM to boot a kernel from a TFTP server produces "wrong magic
number" error messages but does not boot the kernel. => Booting an
uncompressed ECOFF kernel fixed the problem (booting a gzipped ECOFF
kernel produced the same "wrong magic number" messages).

3) Using PROM to boot a kernel from a TFTP server starts but then times
out with error message "no such device". => Modifying the TFTP setting on
the server (NetBSD/alpha) fixed the problem (sysctl -w
net.inet.ip.anonportmin=20000, sysctl -w net.inet.ip.anonportmax=32767).

Thanks to the list and special thanks to Rafal.

Best regards,
/Markus.

+---
Markus A. Boeing