Subject: Re: Install on Indigo2
To: Andreas Rother <a.rother@gmx.de>
From: Bernhard R. Erdmann <be@berdmann.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 07/11/2002 23:02:56
Andreas Rother wrote:
[...]
> Then I verified that the indigo has still the correct ipaddr in the
> PROM and tried to boot, but tftp failed :-(
>
> >> printenv netaddr
> netaddr=192.168.2.253
> >> bootp():/netbsd.ip22
> Setting $netaddr to 192.168.2.253 (from server 192.168.2.3)
> Unable to execute bootp():/netbsd.ip22
>
> After reading the FAQ carefully I noticed the comment about the default
> tftp settings and set "net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 2014 32768".
[...]

From: Michael Harbinson <m.harbinson@tebenet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.misc
Subject: Running diskless Indy from Linux server
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:57:58 GMT

While setting this up I encountered two problems who's solution may be
of interest to the group.

1) The Linux 2.4.* kernels default to setting the "Do Not Fragment" bit
in the IP header (flags 0x2) for UDP frames, however the ROM IP support
in my Indy (Prom version 5.0 Rev B6 IP24 Sep 28 1994) does not accept
any frames with this bit set. It is possible that more recent Proms
behave differently. It is also possible that other (non SGI) servers
have the same behaviour

The current Linux DHCP server daemon answers BOOTP requests without
using the kernel support (it opens the socket as RAW)and works correctly
but the standard bootpd and tftpd both use the kernel IP and therefore
won't work.

A modification to both to set the socket option IP_MTU_DISCOVER to
IP_PMTUDISC_DONT anywhere before the first frame is sent resolves the
problem and allows the Indy to boot.

2) The Prom has a further bug that it can't accept tftp transmissions
from a port number above 32767 (was reported last year by Gerald Heinig)
- this is even more confusing since the first block is ACK'ed
normally.... See the original posts via Google (tftp Indy sgi) but note
the error in the post, it should read:

echo xxxx 32767 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range

and NOT values above 32767 (where xxxx is above the highest port used as
a local service). Older Linux distibutions tended to default to values
below 32767, most newer versions default to 32768 60000 or so.

Regards

Michael
--
Michael Harbinson     email m.harbinson@tebenet.nl
Phone +31 575 542170  Fax +31 575 543070