Subject: 20020421 installable snapshot available
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 04/21/2002 22:03:55
The newest installable snapshot I've generated is now available at
ftp.mrynet.com.

It is located at there at:

	/pub/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/INDY/snapshot-20020419

with the respective installation notes at:

	/pub/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/INDY/INDY.INSTALLATION.20020419.txt

Attached below are the preface notes included in that text file.

I'll be backing off a bit from generating snapshots now that the port
has become so stable.  I'll pick that up again as a few known issues
are resolved and as changes are made to the non-port-specific code
in the cvs tree, most likely monthly.  I'll continue to announce
significant snapshots here on the NetBSD/sgimips list.

Regards,
-scott

Excerpt from INDY.INSTALLATION.20020419.txt follows:

Last updated: April 21, 2002

NOTES about the 20020419 distribution:

o       A new boot program is being made available.  It can be selected
        by using "boot2" (or "boot2.el" [max 8 characters, so it is
        truncated]) instead of "boot" (or "boot.elf").  This boot program
        has an available Interactive Mode modelled after the NetBSD/i386
        boot block.
        See: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2002/04/20/0004.html
o       Booting from CDROM on the Indigo 2 has been tested and confirmed
        working now.  It appears that the Indigo 2 PROM is particular
        about CDROM hardware.  Please report back your successes and
        failures with CDROM hardware.
o       ECOFF support has now been added and tested on the Indigo 2
        and INDY.
o       Kernels are provided with L2 cache enabled for R4400-based machines.
        The default GENERIC kernels provided have the L2 cache disabled to
        allow them to be used on all INDY and Indigo 2 platforms regardless
        of the CPU installed.  The L2-enabled cache kernels, both ELF and
        ecoff, are provided in binary/kernel/netbsd-L2.GENERIC_L2.gz
        and binary/kernel/netbsd-L2.ecoff-GENERIC_L2.gz, respectively.
o       A screen display of the distribution packages that should
        be installed with this snapshot is exhibited at the bottom
        of this document under APPENDIX A.  It is important to read
        this appendix to select the right kernel set to install.
o       With the L2 cache disabled on the R5000 INDY (details towards
        the bottom of this document) the R4400 is noticeably faster
        than the R5000, but not significantly.
o       Do note that the sample outputs are from an older snapshot,
        so your output will differ somewhat--particularly with respect
        to the kernel version identification.
o       There is no X provided for the sgimips platform in this distribution.
o       Preliminary patches from Rafal Boni to resolve an interrupt
        issue that would cause a panic when console speeds greater
        than 9600 baud are used have been integrated in this snapshot.
        See: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2002/04/20/0000.html
o       An additional patch to accomodate Toshiba XM-3401TA CDROM drives
        has been included in this snapshot.  Thanks to Pascal Dameme for
        providing this.

CAVEATS:

o       If you're running the serial console at speed greater than
        9600 baud and you experience unexplained "TLB: out of universe"
        panics, reduce the console baud rate to 9600 and reboot or
        retry the installation.

o       The NetBSD sysinst tool (the menu-driven installation program)
        has a bug -- when specifying "-1" to use the rest of the disk
        for a partition size, it will simply respond with the size:
        prompt again.  A way to work around this is to specify a
        larger number than the actual remaining space.  999999M (999999
        megabytes) is (currently) an easy one.

o       PLEASE NOTE -- THIS DISTRIBUTION APPLIES TO INDY AND INDIGO 2 ONLY.
        This distribution has been tested on the following machines:

                Indigo 2 R4400 100mhz
                INDY R4400 100mhz, 175mhz and 200mhz.
                INDY R4600 100mhz.
                INDY R5000 150mhz.

        Memory sizes tested range from 32MB to 128MB.

o       The O2 support is broken in the NetBSD/sgimips port right now.
        I now have O2s available, but attempts to boot it thus far
        haven't been fruitful.  See the NetBSD/sgimips mailing list
        for issues (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/).

CREDITS:

        I must say that it is a joy working on the NetBSD/sgimips
        platform.  While the number of subscribers to this platform
        project is much smaller than others, the intimacy provides
        an extremely comfortable and understanding environment for
        development and problem resolution.  The NetBSD/sgimips
        port is proving to be extremely stable and robust.

        I would like to thank the following people who have provided
        guidance and assistance in my endeavours to provide a clean
        distribution "release" process:

        Rafal Boni, Soren S. Jorvang, Manuel Boyer, Hendrik Scholz,
        Michael Hitch, Hubert Feyrer, Christopher Sekiya, Robert Boehne,
        Pascal Dameme, the NetBSD/mips folks, and those who have tested
        and contributed feedback on my snapshots.  Thanks to all.

Scott G. Taylor -- sgimips @ mrynet . com (remove the spaces :)
        (wouldn't it be neat if the SPAM harvesters picked up
         and used the following? hostmaster@ftc.gov :)

NetBSD/sgimips *TEST* Installation Images and Procedures

 All paths are relative to
ftp.mrynet.com:/pub/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/INDY/snapshot-YYYYMMDD
 where:
        YYYYMMDD is a specific snapshot date

Associated documentation (this file) for each snapshot is located at
ftp.mrynet.com:/pub/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/INDY/INDY.INSTALLATION.YYYYMMDD.txt

It is presumed that the reader has experience installing NetBSD
already.  Since this is only an initial exposure of the sysinst(8)
tool and RELEASE generation for installation images, no effort has
been made to fully document typical NetBSD installation procedures.

This is a preliminary release test for NetBSD/sgimips from source
dates indicated by the snapshot-YYYYMMDD directory name.