Subject: Re: need advice
To: None <basal@freesurf.fr>
From: Vladimir Kotal <vlada@openbsd.cz>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/06/2002 22:29:24
On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 09:58:41PM +0100, Basalt@arakhis wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am interest in buying a indigo2 to put NetBSD on it.
> i have take a look at ebay and found one indigo2 Extreme Graphics, R4400, 150mhz. 128mb ram, 4gb HD

I have here sitting Indigo2 'Purple' with

CPU: MIPS R4400 Processor Chip Revision: 6.0
FPU: MIPS R4000 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 0.0
1 250 MHZ IP22 Processor
Main memory size: 192 Mbytes

and I'd be using NetBSD on that if it only supported X.

> i want to use this unit for test purpose and perhaps as a firewall

I don't think it is wise to use sgi as a firewall.
sgimips port is not stable enough to be usable as a firewall and second
ethernet adapter is kind of rare. Not counting price/performace.

> i there any advice or comments before i think about buying it ?
> (i have never seen a sgi and know very few things about)

If you want to do some serious experimenting, I'd suggest to throw money
into O2.

v.