Subject: Re: Install on Indy
To: Moshe Y Katz-Hyman <moshe@astro.ocis.temple.edu>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 02/25/2002 19:29:06
--==_Exmh_1990112968P

In message <Pine.OSF.4.32.0202251656100.15084-100000@typhoon.ocis.temple.edu>,
you write:

-> The bootloader is working after setting the PROM variables, but how do I
-> get NetBSD to boot into a "full" screen, not just a little "window" over
-> the bluish background.

The snide answer is "you write code to do it" 8-)

The serious answer is "that isn't supported right now, as nobody's written
the code to support it".  Also note that doing so would involve driving
the display hardware, and there are no docs for a large subset of that
hardware (only, AFAIK, for the lowest-end cards).

-> Also whenever I hit certain keys (esc, arrow keys, F-keys) the kernel
-> reboots!

That's a known bug, but I think I have some info from others on the list
as to what can be done to fix this.  Simply haven't had the time to check
it out, though.

-> Finally (this is probably the silliest question) once I get this stuff
-> working, can I compile X?  I've heard that X 4.2.0 has a newport driver.
-> (also, what is the correct netbsd-ish way of doing this)  Thanks.

The problem with the X server is that there is no mouse/keyboard driver,
so X is a pretty academic exercise without those.  Again, neither should
be rocket science, but at the same time neither has been written.

I have patches vs. NetBSD's xsrc which should allow you to build a complete
X kit (server and all), but (again, due to lack of time) never got around
to testing it -- lack of KB/mouse drivers also didn't help 8-)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
   Need to get a hold of me?  http://http.eiab.edial.com/800.edial/rafal

--==_Exmh_1990112968P

--==_Exmh_1990112968P--