Subject: Re: INDY floppy
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
From: Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor <staylor@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/27/2001 20:23:05
Hej, Soren,

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 08:09:49PM -0600, Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor wrote:
> > does anyone else on this planet have an INDY with a floppy drive?
> > I can't tell if kernel support is poor, or if I have a bad floppy
> > drive.  I can't seem to read or write the floppy at all.  It does
> > probe though:
> >
> > sd1 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <INSITE, I325VM        *F, 0387> SCSI1 0/direct removable
> > sd1: drive offline
> > sd1: async, 8-bit transfers
> >
> > If someone DOES have one, perhaps they could let me know what the
> > part number of the drive is.  Mine is #9490811.
>
> I have the same type, firmware revision and all. Reading from it as
> well as software eject works fine (sadly my drive suffers from the
> mechanical problem with the eject mechanism that seems to afflict
> most of these drives with time, so I have to use the manual override
> or the drive will jam after a handful of ejects).
>
> Writing, however, will require that we change a mode page bit to
> enable it. This should probably be handled through a quirk entry
> or something.
>
> I can't easily check the part number now.

Ah, OK then.  I definately have the right type of drive.
Can you confirm that regular 1440kb floppies should be readable
as-is right now?
I'm as-we-speak tracking down an actual known-written floppy to
check out.  I'll see how that goes (floppies are rare in this
apartment :)

I keep putzing then, since someone else can act as a reference
for any testing.

Cheers,
-scott