Subject: graphics console on the INDY
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor <staylor@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/27/2001 16:26:04
I've just discovered that INDY (TEAL) kernel will work with the graphics
console on my R4400 (Haven't tried the R5K yet).  It defeinately has
issues, but it seems 95% there for a text-graphics console.  The kernel
I'm using is from my mid-November snapshot cdimage.

Issues I see are:

o	Booting via "auto" in the command monitor menu (or via the
	Start System icon) doesn't work.  Hangs after reporting the CPU
	Timer Calibration then resets.

o	Booting via "boot" in the command monitor menu boots all the
	way into multi-user.  However, some control-key sequences
	(namely CTRL-C) do Bad Things.  CTRL-C puts you back at
	the Command Monitor ">>" prompt.  Additionally, ESC will
	reset the machine.

o	When attempting to boot via "auto," the screen size is 24x80.
	"boot" command booting results in a screen size of 36x80.

With the odd CTRL-C capturing when booting via "boot," it appears that
the PROM is still intercepting some keystrokes and interpreting them.
Seems that it must be instructed to release the keyboard completely
to the running program.  I'll check out the PROM code to see what might
be effective.

Has anyone else futzed around with graphics consoles?  I remember that
the netbsd.IP22 kernel would flash the console when attempting to boot
with a graphics console.  However, it seems the 1.5Y kernel has come
further with the gfx support.

And, BTW, I have put up a new snapshot on my FTP site.  I don't recommend
actually trying to use the boot images there, as I can't seem to get
a working combination of kernel and boot program to work currently.
However, if you would like more current binary .tgz files, they're
available and are what I'm currently using (along with the kernel .tgz).

The latest snappy is at
ftp://ftp.mrynet.com/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.2-sgimips/INDY/snapshot-20011127

When I get working boot images and such, I'll drop a note to the list again.

Cheers,
-scott