Subject: Re: booting from cdrom
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/14/2001 23:50:50
At 3:43 AM +0100 11/15/01, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
<snip>
>There's some CD light blinking and head moving right after the
>"boot" command and before the errors. The CD-ROM is a HP SureStore 6020,
>and it works fine on my i386 machine, the bus is terminated properly.

Details foggy, been a while since I had to deal with this, but
there's something with the block size of the CD-ROM that's
hardware-related. The fact that it works just fine on i386 is a good
indicator that it *won't* work on SGI (or Sparc). I have a 2x (Maybe
4x) Toshiba for my Indy that's hard-soldered to (2048?) bytes per
block, & a Plextor 32x for my SparcStation 4 that has a switch on the
back for "Normal" & "UNIX". AFAIK, most of the Plextors have switches
or jumpers like that; mine is a PX-32TSe. They're pretty available on
eBay.

HTH,
-Kit
-Benjamin Franklin

"...qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
(...if you would have peace, be prepared for war)
-Flavius Vegetius Renatus