Subject: Re: RAMfs netboot kernel and bootable CD image available for TESTING
To: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
From: Hendrik Scholz <hscholz@perikles.toppoint.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/14/2001 11:55:35
Hi!

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 23:02:46 -0600
sgimips@mrynet.com (sgimips NetBSD list) wrote:
[...]
> The following installtion methods are (or will) be addressed here:
>
> 1. Installing NetBSD/sgimips via bootp - netboot kernel with RAM filesystem

I tested this one three times.
Booting works fine (beside the scsi problem reported here earlier).
I had to choose sd0 for installation and was unable to use sd1 as /home for
example. I don't know if it is possible to use several scsi disks for
installation on other ports but it sounds obvious to me.

In the disklabel-program "-1" doesn't work to expand the actual partition
to full size. It simply gave me the same prompt:

size: -1size:-1size: ....

One time I entered a Megabyte-value while in sector mode and then got a
partition which was larger than the whole disk.

I used ftp and nfs to get the tarballs. No problemes here.
Timezone selection is a major pain with a serial connection to a palm pilot
or with a normal serial terminal an 9k6 ;)

> 2. Installing NetBSD/sgimips via bootable CD

Downloading just finished. Perhaps I have the time to test this one today.

> 3. Installing NetBSD/sgimips via bootp - netboot kernel and NFS filesystem

... perhaps before the 16th.

Thanks, Hendrik

--
Hendrik Scholz <hendrik@scholz.net>