Subject: Re: Testing of sgivol etc.
To: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 11/10/2001 15:51:26
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Havard Eidnes wrote:

> I *think* lp->d_secsize is either initialized to 0 or read from the
> disk.
> I decided that the problem was the missing or uninitialized disk
> label, and after some failed attempts I managed to wedge one in place.
> This could not be done through an operation which would try to read
> the missing disklabel, as that would hit the above problem as well, so
> I ended up modifying a proto-file from one of my other systems and
> doing
>
> # disklabel -R -r sd1 new-label.sd1
>
> whereafter the label became sufficiently initialized that I could
> proceed with tuning the contents of the disk label.
>
> The root cause for the problem may be insufficient provision of
> default values for the in-core disklabel when the label on the disk is
> missing.

  The problem is the new disksubr code sets some in-core disklabel from
data in the SGI volume header that sgivol doesn't know.  The devparams
area was not defined when I did sgivol, and wasn't needed by the kernel
at that time.  Sgivol will need to be updated so the initialized volume
header includes the needed values.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant