Subject: Indy serial console input quits
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: sgimips NetBSD list <sgimips@mrynet.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 10/29/2001 20:56:49
Hi,
I'm running NetBSD 1.5Y on my Indy, booting natively from disk, etc.
However, the serial console quits recognising input typed after having
been outputting for a while.

Let me explain.  Using the classic:
        # make build >&BUILD&
        # tail -f BUILD
scenario for monitoring a build of /usr/src, after about 30-45 minutes
I can no longer type anything to the console.  ^C, ^Z and ^T are all
no longer functional.  Neither are characters typed echoed.  I have
discovered that by killing the login shell, console input resumes once
the getty is restarted and the login: prompt appears.  At that point,
console operation is back to normal.

Throughout all this, the "tail -f BUILD" will continue to output
properly on the console until kill(1)'d.  Thus, console output
is not affected... only the input functionality.

I have noticed this when netbooting the
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/snapshot/20011002/binary/kernel/
kernels, as well as a custom "root on sd1" type TEAL kernel, so I don't
believe it is related to actual native booting from disk.

Anyone else experiencing such a problem?

BTW, a posting of my success installing NetBSD onto my INDY will follow
shortly, along with a list of steps used.

-scott