Subject: Re: News & Installation ideas
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Petri Tapio Koistinen <pkoistin@cs.stadia.fi>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 10/05/2001 15:39:01
On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Florian Laws wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 12:52:47PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> >
> > > So ARCS can't boot FFS? How about porting XFS to NetBSD? Couldn't be that
> > > hard (tm). That would make life... erm... this thing much easier. ;-)
>
> Can ARCS boot off any Filesystem at all?
> I thought it would load sash from a fixed address and then let sash
> do the filesystem reading.

If I am not totaly confused it can read EFS and XFS. Or does it load Sash
special partition on disk? Is Sash needed to load NetBSD? It shouldn't be.
Sash is something SGI proprietary that is installed on disk when it
formated and made bootable? How about writing own replacement for sash?

BTW wouldn't it be possible to make CD-R where you could load kernel and
boot system with root filesystem on CD?

These question are FAQ stuff and should be explained there.

Petri