Subject: Re: News & Installation ideas
To: Petri Tapio Koistinen <pkoistin@cs.stadia.fi>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 10/05/2001 12:52:47
On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Petri Tapio Koistinen wrote:
> Now that graphics bug is fixed, it even looks like NetBSD booting. =) But
> how do you pass information to kernel that it should boot thru NFS from
> place X and directory Y?

Um, does the information in the sgimips FAQ help?
www.netbsd.org/Ports/sgimips/faq.html

> And while NFS is quite new thing for me, as I have only used it on
> computer systems but never have set it up, setting NFS on SGI box is bit
> problematic. Just wondering if it's possible to dump installation
> filesystem to swap drive from IRIX. Load kernel over network and boot from
> swap drive and setup rest of system (like formating disks to ffs and
> fetching binary packages over net). Same way as I am used to install
> NetBSD on Amiga.

There's nothing like that yet...

> So ARCS can't boot FFS? How about porting XFS to NetBSD? Couldn't be that
> hard (tm). That would make life... erm... this thing much easier. ;-)

... of course you're welcome to help out! When are you done?
:)

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html