Subject: Should all Indys work?
To: None <port-sgimips@netbsd.org>
From: Travis Geiselbrecht <geist@foobox.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 06/07/2001 23:26:43
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 09:13:12PM +0100, Jorgen Lundman wrote:
>
>  > Don't suppose anyone know where to get the kernel? I've backup my I^2
>  > and I'm ready to test load the kernel, and went looking for it. Could
>  > only find snapshots from way earlier in the year so I guess I have to
>  > cross compile them? Seems "involved" :) I can either do it under IRIX?
>  > or with my sparc running NetBSD?
>  >
>  > Or does someone have a kernel IP22 that I can "borrow" ?
>
> Okay, I've uploaded the kernels I'm using, that include all of Rafal's
> latest fixes:
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/netbsd.ip22
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sgimips/netbsd.ip22.elf
>
> The first is one that can be netbooted by the ARCS firmware, using the
> command:
>
> boot bootp():/netbsd.ip22
>
> For userland, you might consider using the latest newsmips snapshot.  I
> might build an sgimips snapshot soon'ish, as soon as my Indy finishes
> self-hosting a -current build.

Question:

Is this image supposed to work on all Indys? On my particular system, the
kernel begins to boot but all further console activity stops working by
displaying a bunch of essentially random green bars from the left side of
the screen that changes as console activity is supposed to be happening. I
believe it may be properly booting behind the scenes, but the console output
is garbage.

The Indy specs are:
    R5000 150Mhz, 256k cache
    96 MB ram
    24-bit Vino video

I'm thinking it may be a problem with this particular video output, maybe it
hasn't been tested before? I'm willing to do some work if someone needs it
done. I'm not new to kernel hacking.

Thanks,
Travis Geiselbrecht