Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 06/07/2001 12:50:32
[ Re-directed to port-sgimips ]

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 03:39:48PM -0400, Rafal Boni wrote:

 > -> Also, query the "ConsoleOut" ARCS variable (i.e. "what the console
 > -> really is") rather than "console" ("what the console is configured
 > -> as").
 >
 > My reading of the IRIX man pages was that `ConsoleOut'/`ConsoleIn' were
 > both synthesized from `console' (I think `man prom' said so).  I'm curious
 > how you got into a state of mismatch...
 >
 > Did you set one of `ConsoleIn'/ `ConsoleOut' manually, or is there some way
 > to override the `console' env var?

In my case, the "console" variable is set to "g", but I have no keyboard
plugged in, therefore the console open fails, and it falls back to serial
console.

So, I end up with:

	console			g
	ConsoleIn		serial(0)
	ConsoleOut		serial(0)

ConsoleIn and ConsoleOut reflect the actual state of the world, whereas
console reflects what the user has requested.  ARCS set ConsoleIn and
ConsoleOut.

I prefer this type of configuration -- it allows me to just go serial
by simply unplugging the keyboard.

This should also eliminate the need for the flag added to avoid reset
of the SCC chip if its being used for PROM console I/O.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>