Subject: Re: Newbie question
To: Gerald Heinig <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/28/2001 17:55:18
On Sun Jan 28 2001 at 15:43:16 +0100, Gerald Heinig wrote:
> Joel Kershner wrote:
> >
> > Hello,  I'm a bit new to the BSD scene.  I have an old INDIGO MIPS
> > R3000, and I am interested in booting NetBSD on it.  It has more than
> > enough ram and harddrive space.
> >
> > First off is it possible.
>
> No. NetBSD-sgimips only works on Indy machines upwards IIRC (check the
> port page). Netbooting works fine in itself. You just don't have a
> kernel to boot on an Indigo.

No, NetBSD/sgimips works only on the r5k O2 at the moment.

> > Second off, Will it require an existing Irix instalation (the version I
> > have is old and very broken.)  I would prefer to run only one
> > opperating system on this machine.
>
> Hmm. Not sure on that one, but since there's no Indigo NetBSD kernel
> available it's a moot point.

Most probably not, as the same thing for O2 does neither. However, there
is work in progress (well... ) for adding capability to boot the port
straight from the hard drive instead of requiring netboot. Making that
possible will most probably require an IRIX installation in the
beginning at least.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>          v          Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/             i            http://www.NetBSD.org/