Subject: Re: indigo
To: Josh Davidson <dogtoy@ductape.net>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 09/04/2000 22:09:45
On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Josh Davidson wrote:

>Can I use a sun type 4 or 5 keyboard (or mouse) with an Indigo?
>Also, does anyone on this list have a copy of Irix 5.3 or lower that they are
>willing to sell?

As evidenced by http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sgimips/ there is no Indigo
support yet.  I've got an r4k IRIS Indigo here I'd like to start hacking
up some support for but I haven't even had time to get that machine
setup yet.  As for the keyboard question, the older SGIs use a
proprietary keyboard/mouse protocol and you'll need an SGI branded part.
The newer SGIs use standard PS2 parts.  The Sun stuff uses a different
protocol.  Heaven knows why you'd want to use a Sun keyboard anyway,
atrocious things.  ;-)  If you're asking for IRIX 5.3 that probably
means you've got an old r3k IRIS Indigo.  I don't see support for that
coming for a long while.  If you want to run ass old IRIX on that thing
you should see comp.sys.sgi.marketplace to get ahold of the media.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying