Re: Enhanced Synology CS/RS support

On 19 April 2012 12:14, Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:56:39 +0100
> David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Do you know of any 5 drive NAS boxes?
>
> For sandpoint there is definitely no such model. I'm not sure if something
> like that exists with other CPUs.
>

>> I want to run full RAID5 and the performance of non "power-of-two + 1"
>> is... less than ideal.
>
> But four drives are enough for RAID5?

Well, three drives are enough, and technically you could do it with two :)
But using power-of-two + 1 drives ensures the stripe size is a power
of two, and the performance difference
between a 3 or 5 drive RAID5 and a 4 drive RAID5, at least on
RAIDframe can be massive.

I'm currently using a couple of HP microservers with 5*2TB disks under
NetBSD/amd64, but I'm always on the lookout for something neater :)

Actually - 5 or more would work for me, though for an 8 I'd probably
end up using a 5 + 3...