Re: Problems on TS-101

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:43:24 +0200
Oscar Molin <oscarmolin%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I tested the current altboot (20th october), but I was unable to boot
> with the mem:xxx parameter which is needed to install if you only have
> kermit over serial to upload the install-kernel with.

I was unable to boot it at all. It crashed directly after displaying
the banner:

>> NetBSD/sandpoint altboot, revision 1.7 (Thu Oct 20 08:35:32 UTC 2011)
>> KuroBox, cpu 195 MHz, bus 97 MHz, 64MB SDRAM

The hardware probably makes no difference. I'm using a Buffalo HD-HLAN
now, because my QNAP TS-101 is currently running as a server.

> After the first caption is displayed (netbsd/sanpoint altboot xxx), it
> just stops without trying to boot any device at all as far as I can
> tell.

Right. I fear this might be another problem caused by switching the
toolchain to GCC V4.5.3. The source hadn't changed since then.

It also explains the strange crashes I had in altboot during the last
weeks, while trying to implement the Iomega Storcenter disk-loader. :|

> I installed using an older version and then flashed this new version
> again after the kernel was in place on the harddrive.
> It does boot well from the harddrive, it turns out.

Hmm... so the recent altboot can boot from disk? On HD-HLAN it doesn't.
Can you also get into interactive mode?

I have an altboot.bin from the 8th of August, which still works. But a
binary based on the source from the 12th of August fails. This was the
time were GCC 4.5.3 was introduced...

--
Frank Wille